Lakesidefurs

It is currently 25 Jun 2017 22:39

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2016 07:30 

SincX wrote:
Is anyone interested in taking part and bringing their own parts so they can take their creations home? :-) I can write up a basic parts list if you like.

Yes that would be nice :)

-- [asc]

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2016 09:14 

Well so I'd recommend the following parts. I use eBay or Aliexpress. The links I provide below are purely for illustration (and were the first hits I got), not necessarily endorsing anything. ;-) Also please be aware that it's normal on Aliexpress for shipping to be more than the items (at least good shipping - I recommend DHL), the key point is that the total price is still very good in many cases.

I will bring some parts to demonstrate and that people can play with but if people want to incorporate into their suit or take home, maybe it will be best to buy yourself and bring to the demonstration.

Your favourite Arduino. I recommend either:
- Arduino Nano (if you get the cheaper version with the CH340 serial-USB chip, make sure you also install the drivers for your computer).
- ESP8266 based board such as a NodeMCU(at least v 1.0). This gives you wifi capability although a lot of libraries won't work with it.

WS2811 based individually addressed LED strips. You can get these individually, in strips of varying densities and seals (some waterproof for instance), as strings of lights, rings and so-on. Note that AdaFruit sell these as Neopixels, they're compatible. Maybe think about where you might like lights in your suit. I recommend strings like these or these as being most versatile if you're looking to put points of light in your suit. Arrays such as these are also nice for putting under fabric to make light up hidden displays.

Battery pack. I use a USB mobile phone emergency battery myself. Make sure that either the Arduino comes with the cable or you also get a cable. The Nano uses a mini USB (not the Android phone type) while the NodeMCU uses a micro USB (same as Android phone time).

Wires if you want to go to different parts on your suit. 3 way wire is necessary and note that you need a complete string if you're using the NodeMCU (with the Arduino Nano you can run the strips out in a star type pattern because you can connect strips separately to different pins while the NodeMCU/ESP8266 boards only have one pin for you to connect to). Note that you need a reasonable amount of current capacity, maybe up to an amp or more depending on how many LEDs you're playing with.

Please of course let me know if there are any questions!

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2016 10:16 

Oh and of course you'll need a computer to do the programming. You'll need to have the Arduino IDE (ideally version 1.0.6 for the Nano, the latest version for the ESP8266, remember to also install the relevant libs) and if necessary the CH340 driver. I'll try and the necessary software available on a USB stick.

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2016 20:14 

Thank you very much for the great presentation. I found it very inspiring.
A friend of mine (who could not attend LSF unfortunately) has planned to use a microcontroller for his fursuit; not for LEDs but to control servo motors for the ears, jaw and eye movement. The project stalled a while ago but perhaps I can help it to take off now :)